This is truly a public health crisis. I know and understand 2020 is a stressful year with the pandemic and the social issues surrounding us. However, we must learn how to make ourselves a priority. If we don’t take care of ourselves, we will be unable to deliver to our family, friends, work, and more. This is a recipe for disaster, and yes, I am worried.
Let’s get back to the basics:
- Are you exercising every day for 30-60 minutes? Take a brisk walk, do an online yoga class, or play with your kids outside. Exercise has been shown to help mild to moderate depression.
- Are you continuing intermittent fasting for at least 16 hours per day? Have you been eating healthy? Your nutrition will play a key role in your energy level.
- Are you getting adequate sleep? What is your nighttime routine? How do you unwind at night to go to bed? Now that everything is “virtual” many of my patients keep their phones and computers at bedside. This is a BAD idea and is causing more insomnia.
- Are you connecting with your loved ones? This is a MUST. Social isolation is a contributing cause to depression.
- Do you have an outlet to engage your mind that is not related to gadgets? Like playing an instrument, golfing, painting your house, cooking, and more? Think about how to incorporate activities that are independent of electronics.
Click here to watch a quick video from Dr. Susarla. https://youtu.be/BGxHHqJxsbU
There is still plenty of time for us to get healthy and back into normal routine 🙂